Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To the least of these...

Serving the poor...where to begin. When people ask me what I do for a living they always get the same answer..."I work in a homeless women's shelter". To which I always receive the same reply, "wow that must be rewarding, I don't think I could ever do that." I always respond with a chuckle. Not because my job isn't rewarding but because the idea that I possess some special skill that allows me to do this work is laughable. Anyone can serve the poor, you may not do it as hands on as we do. But anyone can serve the poor.
My Coworkers and I have decided we can't allow the experiences that we encounter in this job to go without sharing. Sharing the joy and pain and sometimes the things that leave us completely speechless is important. It helps you see that serving the needy isn't a job for super heros, instead just for those of us who have seen what it means to be surprised by hope, and to walk forward with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment